Nothing to eat or drink 8 hours prior to scheduled surgery. This includes water, gum, candy, or smoking!
What to Bring?
- Photo ID and insurance cards
- A responsible adult to drive you home and stay with you for 24 hours after surgery
- A complete medication list (including OTC medications)
- Inhalers you use at home
What to do?
- Wear comfy, loose clothes
- Do not wear makeup, perfume, or cologne
- A bra without underwire, a sports bra.
- If you wear contacts, please wear glasses.
- Remove all jewelry and piercings and leave at home
Morning of Surgery
- Beta-Blockers (Atenolol, Bisoprolol, Carvedilol, Esmolol, Labetalol, Metoprolol, Nadolol, Propranolol, Sotalol)
- Anti-anxiety medications (Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Ativan, Buspar, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro)
- Heartburn medications (Famotidine, Ranitidine, Omeprazole)
- Anti-spasmodic medications (Depakote, Lyrica, Neurontin, Clonazepam)
- Narcotics or pain meds that you take daily
- Birth control medication
DO NOT TAKE:
- Diuretics (HCTZ, Lasix, Bumex, Edecrin, Demadex, Aldactone, ect.)
- Hypoglycemics (Metformin, Glyburide, Januvia)
- Ace Inhibitors (Benzaepril, Lisinopril, Perindopril, Quinapril, Ramipril, Trandopril)
- Angiotension II Receptor Blockers (Azilsartan, Candesartan, Irbesartan, Valsartan, Temisartan, Losartan
Please ask about any medications not listed here.
Stop Ozempic and Wegovy:
- If taking daily, do not use the day prior to surgery.
- If taking weekly, do not use the week prior to surgery.
STOP taking 14 days before surgery:
- NSAIDS (i.e. Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Motrin, meloxicam, Mobic, celebrex)
- ALL vitamin and herbal supplements (Vitamin E, Gingko, Garlic, Ginger, Fish Oil, Ginseng, Ma Huang, Echinacea)
- Diet and weight loss medications (Phentermine)
Insulins: DO NOT take fast-acting or regular acting insulins the morning of surgery. Take HALF of your long-acting insulin dose the night before surgery. Blood sugar levels will be checked upon arrival for surgery.
Blood thinners: If you are prescribed any of the following medications by your cardiologist or other provider, please let us know so that we can obtain their hold and restart recommendations prior to your surgery.